New Zealanders from refugee backgrounds participating fully in New Zealand life
Opening of Tier 2 Refugee Family Support Category
In November 2017, Immigration New Zealand are planning on opening Tier 2 of the Refugee Family Support Category. This means even if you have immediate family in NZ you may be able to sponsor one family member (and their immediate family) to come live here.
You may be able to sponsor your family member:
- If you came to NZ through the refugee quota or were granted refugee or protected person status
- If you have not sponsored anyone under Tier 1
- If you have held New Zealand residence for at least 3 years.
Family members you may be able to sponsor include:
- adult brothers and sisters
- adult children
- possibly a grandparent.
There are strict deadlines involved and other requirements so please talk to Community Law or Changemakers Refugee Forum for more information.
To find out more information
1. You can attend the Community Law Drop-in Sessions on Refugees & Immigration:
- Tuesdays - 5.30pm-7pm, Community Law Wellington, Level 8, 203-209 Willis Street, Wellington
- Wednesdays - 12pm-2pm, Community Law Hutt Valley, Level 2, 59 Queens Drive, Wellington.
2. Join the Immigration NZ (MBIE) Community Forum:
- Friday 10 November, 4pm-6pm, Auditorium, Lifepoint Church, 61 Hopper Street, Wellington.
3. Join the Community Law Workshops:
- Wellington - Monday 13 November, 6pm-8pm, Ground Floor Ranchhod House, 39 Webb St, Wellington
- Hutt Valley - Wednesday 15 November, 6pm-8pm, St David's Church Hall, 3 Seddon Street, Naenae
- Porirua - Thursday 16 November, 6pm-8pm, Mungavin Hall: Supper room, 27a Mungavin Avenue, Porirua East, Porirua
4. Attend the Registration Sessions with Community Law
Community Law will help you to fill in the RFSC Tier 2 registration applications at both their Lower Hutt and Wellington offices.
You can get help to fill in your registration forms on these dates:
LOWER HUTT (Level 2, 59 Queens Drive)
- Monday 20 November, 2pm – 7pm
- Wednesday 22 November, 12pm - 5pm
- Wednesday 29 November, 12pm - 5pm
WELLINGTON (Level 8, 203-209 Willis Street)
- Tuesday 21 November, 2pm – 7pm
- Thursday 23 November, 2pm – 7pm
- Monday 27 November, 2pm – 7pm
- Tuesday 28 November, 2pm – 7pm
Community Law expect to be very busy in these sessions so please be aware you may have to wait a while before you can be seen.
If possible, please fill in this registration form (INZ 1192, found at this link: https://www.immigration.govt.nz/documents/forms-and-guides/inz1192.pdf) and bring it and your residence visa or passport with you.
Click here to download this registration sessions information so you print it out (includes translations in Tamil, Chin, Arabic and Spanish)
Brought to you by:
Our Board is governed by people from refugee backgrounds who represent the interests of former refugees generally rather then their communities specifically. We also have 20% representation from other communities.